“This is the best thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life.” -Somebody find out who made this Mortal Kombat video and give them a gold medal, stat.
Cancel all my meetings
The ladies are at worlds. Spotted in Doha: Team Greece, Team Brazil (here’s their lineup), Team China, Team Germany (bonus: puppy), Team Belgium, Team Japan, Team Spain, Team Russia (lineup), Aliya being better than you on the beam, and Aliya being better than you on the floor. Gymnasts from India are sadly absent.
Mary Bono stepped down. USA Gymnastics interim CEO and president Mary Bono resigned on Tuesday after four days on the job. The resignation comes after Simone Biles called out Bono for her September anti-Nike tweet, and Aly Raisman found out that Bono worked for USAG’s law firm in 2015.
Steve Penny was arrested. Former USAG president Steve Penny was arrested on Wednesday for tampering with evidence in relation to the Larry Nassar case. Penny is charged with ordering the removal of documents from the Karolyi Ranch. He was arrested while on vacation in Tennessee with his family, and his lawyer said he had no idea he had been indicted and that he is “confident” that the allegations “will be disproven.”
Psst: If “removing documents” sounds familiar, it’s because allegations of moving medical records from the Karolyi Ranch appeared in Jordyn Wieber’s lawsuit and Rhonda Faehn’s congressional testimony, at the same congressional hearing where Penny pleaded the fifth.
Evidence also suggests that Penny asked the FBI to help protect USAG’s image during the Nassar scandal, even offering an FBI agent a job with the U.S. Olympic Committee.
USAG and the USOC are under investigation for possible ties to a cover-up. USAG says it has “fully cooperated” with investigations. They later announced that Steve Penny has been placed on the permanently ineligible list.
Tasha came forward. Tasha Schwikert came forward as a survivor of Larry Nassar’s abuse, along with her sister Jordan, on Thursday. Tasha also alleges that Penny pressured her to support USAG during the Nassar scandal, including providing a statement about her positive experience with USAG, which was tweeted during a 60 Minutes interview with survivors.
- Michigan State University police say “significant” fraudulent claims were made to the victims’ assistance fund, but not by survivors. The fund has been frozen for months.
- Dan Kendig, Nebraska’s head coach for 25 years, stepped down on Tuesday.
- Dave Brubaker, former head coach of Canada’s women’s program, will be tried for sexual assault starting on Monday.
- Where are the adults at USA Gymnastics? The future of the sport is in jeopardy (ESPNW)
- USA Gymnastics is out of chances to get its CEO hire right (ESPNW)
- The USOC needs to intervene with USAG (Outside the Lines)
- Throw another log onto the ongoing dumpster fire that is USA Gymnastics (The Boston Globe)
- USA Gymnastics’ week to forget shows the newfound power of athletes and the law (CNN)
- Vera Caslavska and the forgotten story of her 1968 Olympics protest (BBC)
- America’s gymnasts deserve better than USA Gymnastics (Teen Vogue)
Surprise appearance. Denisa Golgota is in Doha despite earlier muscle issues.
Nastia danced. Nastia Liukin joined Mary Lou Retton on Dancing with the Stars for a trio dance. Jury’s out on whether they put their gold medals together to combine their powers.
Singapore’s gymnasts napped. Apparently the team does nap workshops. Guess the grass really is always greener, after all.
Sergei got his medal. A special ceremony was held for Sergei Naidin to accept his bronze medal on parallel bars at YOGs. (He was not able to make it to the regularly scheduled programming due to back pain.)
Gabs is acting. Gabby Douglas will be in a Hallmark movie. Fun fact: I once worked at a Hallmark store. We called it Hellmark (clever, I know).
Shang Chunsong is living life. And I’m just…[fights back tears]…just so *happy* for her.
There’s…a lot happening. Did I miss your favorite worlds team, or anything else you think is worth sharing? Leave a comment.
P.S. First episode of the Believed podcast is here.
Want to help out and qualify for super fun rewards for as little as $1/month? Check us out on Patreon!