“When I was modeling in New York during 9/11 people were dying but I still worked it and was fierce.” -Tyra Banks. I might be watching too much TV
Laurie’s back at camp. Laurie Hernandez got an invite to November’s national team camp, making her comeback official. Tom Forster says he hasn’t seen any training videos from her, but that he spoke to her at nationals about her progress. Here is the rest of the camp roster—note that the worlds team is exempt, and Riley “my muscles are no longer releasing a toxic chemical into my bloodstream I’m good” McCusker is in.
A few lil comps happened. For some reason, people are still competing after worlds (don’t they know this is cinnamon roll season?). Jade Carey and Allan Bower won the Swiss Cup, and the Romanian Juniors did better than their senior counterparts in the junior comp.
U.S. party in Cottbus. Turns out three U.S. men will be representing at Cottbus.
NCAA: Athletes will be able to profit. The NCAA Board of Governors decided Tuesday to allow student-athletes to profit from their “name, image and likeness.” But it’s unclear how this new policy will work and what rules the NCAA will put into place to regulate it.
- The Game Over commission, which was “founded to examine the institutional failures that led to the Nassar case,” is holding its first public hearing today as part of their independent investigation into the case.
- The Tokyo gymnastics arena is finished, including a state-of-the-art, under-the-table concrete sleep area for Lauren Hubkins, The Gymternet.
- “It’s always worth trying one more time”: Interview with Austria’s Elisa Hämmerle (The Gymternet)
- Read Spencer’s Clickable Code of Points (The Balance Beam Situation)
- The NCAA isn’t allowing athletes to get paid. The NCAA is buying time (For The Win)
- Thank You (Deadspin)
Retirements. Jordan Bowers has retired from elite gymnastics, she announced Saturday. In a Twitter post, Bowers wrote that due to her back injuries she’s dropping to Level 10 and focusing on getting ready to start competing for Oklahoma.
Recoveries. Ellie Black is on the up-and-up after ankle surgery. She she tore ankle ligaments when she landed short during the worlds all-around final and is kindly updating us on her progress via Instagram.
Chuso’s journey. Catch up with Oksana Chusovitina in this interview.
Shawn maybe had a baby? It’s unclear, but I’ve learned my lesson and won’t post anything here until I see it in America’s most trusted news source, People Magazine.
Halloween happened! And everyone dressed up!
Jordyn Wieber dressed up as Chris Brooks, Simone Manuel (the swimmer) dressed up as Simone Biles (the gymnast), Simone btw was/is an angel, a dinosaur did the Nadia, Kim Zmeskal was a flying squirrel, Morgan Hurd was Captain Marvel, and Nastia’s boyfriend went as…her?
Call her Archie. Watch this intense bar save.
Rest in peace, Deadspin.
Want to help out and qualify for super fun rewards for as little as $1/month? Check us out on Patreon!